College Station Texas History

Texas A & M University has grown from humble beginnings to a nation-renowned college with a nationally recognized faculty, more than 2,000 enrolled students, and a reputation as one of the nation's leading public colleges and universities. Widely known as the stomping ground of Texas A & M University, the college is the second largest public college system in the United States, behind only the Houston Community College System.

The university has awarded thousands of degrees to people who have never set foot on campus in their lives or who have never been 10,000 miles from College Station, including members of the US Army, Navy, Marine Corps, Air Force, Army National Guard and Marine Reserve. This figure includes more than 1500 Bachelor's and Master's degrees, as well as hundreds of Master's and Doctoral degrees in science and technology.

Bachelor's degrees in history at Texas colleges and received an entry-level salary of $25,000 a year for a bachelor's degree and $35,500 for a master's degree.

College Station, which the Post called a railroad stop in 1877, prospered until the 1960s, when the college opened its doors to women and became Texas A & M University. College Station was born out of school and TexasA + M initiated a large expansion of the programs in 1960.

In 1967, the Texas Legislature renamed Texas A & M University to reflect the institution's expanded role in academic provision, and in 1967, the name of the University of Austin was changed. In addition, Texas State University was founded in Prairie View, Texas, in 1876.

To be precise, Texas A & M has been a branch of the University of Texas at Austin since the Texas Constitution of 1876 designated the college as a "branch" of that University of Texas, and that has not changed to this day. There was never any indication that the Agricultural and Mechanical College of Texas should be an agricultural college, or even an agricultural college in general. The status of agricultural branches of colleges was addressed in the State College Act of 1861, the state's first legislative act, but not in its original form.

The state of Texas agreed to establish the college under the terms of the Morrill Act in November 1866, but the actual creation took place only with the State College Act of 1876, the first legislative act in the state's history. The Agricultural and Mechanical College would form a "branch" of the University of Texas.

While the main campus is in College Station, Texas A & M had to have its own campus in Bryan, Texas. Bryan Air Force Base was renamed A & M in 1962 and served as A / M Research and Extension Center until 1988, when it was renamed Texas A and M Riverside Campus. The land and buildings were handed over to the University of Texas at San Antonio College of Agricultural and Mechanical Sciences. There is no land or buildings that originate from or are part of the original campus of the State College System, but there is a small portion of land on the west side of Bryan AFB, near the intersection of US Highway 35 and Interstate 35, which was built in 1961.

Texas A & M has a direct presence in all 254 counties in the state and has worked with more than 1,000 students, faculty, staff and students from across the state.

In total, the district covers more than 1.5 million square feet, bounded by College Station Road, Interstate 35, Texas A & M University Boulevard and Interstate 10. The area to the south borders the University of Texas on the San Antonio campus and the consolidated campus of Texas State University, which is currently the College Station Conference Center. In 1877, the U.S. Postal Service named the area "College Station" because of the station on campus.

The Houston and Texas Central Railway came to the area in 1860, and in 1871 a site was selected for the planned Texas A & M College, which opened in 1876. The location was chosen because of its proximity to the campus of Texas State University and the University of Texas at San Antonio.

In 1915, the Texas Legislature organized a farm community that contributed $1.5 million to build Texas A & M College. Texas A & M was founded in 1916 as a branch of the University of California, San Antonio, and Texas State University.

The proximity to the campus was recognized as a boon to revenue, and in 1916 the first business district was established in the form of the Bryan - College Station Business District (BCSD). Over the next ten years, the area north of the campus became a business district. The Houston and Texas Central Railroad downgraded the track bed in the mid-19th century, as this area was to become Bryan's settlement. Texas A & M College of Agriculture and Natural Resources and Texas State University were founded at Bryan College in 1910.

More About College Station

More About College Station